The house we know as Portumna Castle was built in the early seventeenth century by Richard de Burgo or Burke, 4th Earl of Clanricarde. It was used as the de Burgo/Burke family residence for over 200 years until it was badly damaged by fire in 1826 when it was replaced by another house close by. This second house is no longer extant. In 1906 the buildings at Portumna were valued at £40. The original Portumna Castle has been restored and is open to the public.