Christopher St. George, residing at Kilcolgan Castle, is described as a resident proprietor in county Galway in 1824. In the 1830s Kilcolgan Castle is described as the property of A.F. St. George. This house, part of the St.George estate, was leased by Matthew St.George from Christopher St.George, 1855. At that time Matthew St. George was acting as agent for the Rathbourne estate. Earlier, the Ordnance Survey Field Name books record that he was acting as agent for the estate of Patrick French in the nearby parish of Ballynacourty. In 1894 Slater refers to "Kilcolgan House" as the residence of James St. George.