Bence Jones writes that the house was built in 1776 by Colonel W.T. Monsell MP on the site of an earlier house. Wilson refers to it in 1786 as "the pleasant seat of W.T. Monsell". In 1894 Slater notes it as a residence of Lord Emly. A De La Poer grandson of the 1st Baron Emly succeeded to Tervoe in the 20th century and it was demolished in the 1950s. A detailed description of the interior of the house is given by the Irish Tourist Association surveyor in 1943.