King House was built between 1720-1740 by Sir Henry King. In 1786 Wilson wrote "the Earl of Kingston has a very fine house at Boyle, situated near the ruoins of an ancient abbey". Following a fire in 1788 the King family vacated the house and moved to Rockingham on the shores of Lough Key. King House was used as a military barracks until the 1960s. It is now in the ownership of Roscommon County Council and is open to the public.