Persse (Roxborough & Moyode)
- The Persse family first received grants of land in counties Galway and Roscommon in the 1670s. Some of this land had been de Burgo land and later a descendent of the Persses acquired the estate at Moyode. Lands at Moyode and Castleboy had been granted to Sir William Scawen in 1703. The Persses settled initially at Spring Garden. Afterewards they purchased Roxborough where some of the family were living by the early 18th century. Robert Persse of Roxborough established estates at Castleboy and Moyode for his sons Parsons and Burton respectively. R. Persse of Castleboy is recorded as the proprietor of townlands in the parish of Isertkelly in the 1830s. D. Persse of Roxborough is recorded as proprietor of townlands in the parishes of Isertkelly and Kilchreest in the 1830s. Burton Persse is recorded as the proprietor of lands in the parish of Kilconieron at the same time.
Dudley Persse held extensive lands in the parishes of Kilchreest, barony of Dunkellin, and Killinan, barony of Loughrea, in the 1850s. Burton Persse, Sen. Tallyho Lodge, Burton Persse, Jun. Persse Lodge, Robert Persse, Roxborough, Robert Parsons Persse, Castleboy and Henry Persse, Persse Park, were all resident proprietors in 1824.
The estate at Spring Garden in the parish of Tynagh, barony of Leitrim, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in July 1850.
In 1855, however, Burton Persse was still recorded as the lessor of over 700 acres in the parish of Tynagh, barony of Longford. In the 1870s the Persses owned over 18,00 acres in county Galway and over 1,300 acres in county Roscommon.
In May 1876 almost 2000 acres in the baronies of Kiltartan and Leitrim, county Galway, the property of the Blair and Persse families, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates court. Burton H. Persse offered his property at Kiltullagh, barony of Athenry, for sale in the Land Judges' Court in July 1888. The estate was purchased by Henry Persse of Glenarde, Galway.
In 1906 William Arthur Persse owned a mansion house and almost 500 acres of untenanted demesne land at Laherdaun. At the same time Capt. A Persse owned about 1000 acres of untenanted lands and Roxborough House, valued at £70.
- The Right Honourable and Reverend William O'Grady is recorded as the proprietor of Kilchreest Glebe, parish of Kilchreest, barony of Loughrea in the 1830s, which he held as a demesne. He was the fourth son of Standish O'Grady, 1st Viscount Guillamore and was later Archdeacon of Kilmacduagh.
- In the 1870s Henry Torrens Graham of Dublin owned 1,595 acres in county Galway. He was the son of Major Charles Graham and Frances Persse of Moyode. He married in 1852 Eleanor Rathborne of Ballymore, county Galway. http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=AHN&db=mikehaydock&id=I22