Whyte (Newtown Manor)
- Colonel John James Whyte is recorded as the owner of over 9000 acres in county Leitrim in the 1880s. At the time of Griffith's Valuation he held property in the parish of Drumlease, barony of Dromahaire. He lived at Newtown Manor, sometimes described as Dromahaire and sometimes as Sligo. He also had a house at Glencar Lodge, county Leitrim. In 1874 Charles Cecil Beresford Whyte married Petronella Halberg of Swedan, who succeeded to the estates of Charles Manners St George in counties Leitrim & Roscommon. In 1906 Charles B. Whyte was the owner of over 1000 acres of untenanted land at Scramore as well as the mansion house at Carrickfad. In 1911 an offer was accepted from the Congested Districts Board on over 9,000 acres of the Whyte estate.
- Richard St George, a member of a Cambridgeshire family, came to Ireland in the 17th century and was appointed Governor of the town of Athlone. His grandson, Richard St George of Carrick on Shannon, county Leitrim, had two natural children, Richard St George, founder of the Hatley Manor, county Leitrim branch of the family and Mary St George, who married James Mansergh and they were the parents of Colonel Richard Mansergh St George of Headford, county Galway. Members of the family served as High Sheriffs of Leitrim in the eighteenth century. Charles Manners St. George and his Swedish wife Christina were the owners of the St.George estate in Leitrim in the mid-19th century. Petronella Halberg, niece of Christina St George, married Charles Whyte of Newtown Manor and the Whytes inherited Hatley Manor and much of the St George property. The representative of Mrs. St. George are listed as the owners of over 1600 acres in 1876. The family also held lands in counties Offaly, Roscommon, Tipperary (629 acres in the parish of Donaghmore, barony of Iffa and Offa East) and Waterford where Christina St George is recorded as the owner of over 1000 acres. Over 300 acres of Sir John St. George's estate in the latter county was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in June 1878.
Sir Richard St. George of Tully is recorded as a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon in 1828. In 1852 the Roscommon portion of the estate in the barony of Moycarn was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court.This was the property of Richard Bligh St. George and Thomas Baldwin St. George. However, it appears not to have all been sold as Kate St.George was a principal lessor in the parish of Moore, barony of Moycarn, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Her property was sublet from the Bishop of Meath. In the 1870s she is recorded as owning over 1700 acres in county Roscommon and was resident at Cheltenham, England.
St. George (Headford)
- The St Georges were a Cambridgeshire family who were granted lands in the Headford area by the Cromwellian Commissioners, much of it formerly held by the Skerrett family. Their ownership of lands in counties Galway, Roscommon, Limerick and Queen's county (county Laois) was confirmed by a patent dated 26 Oct 1666. A member of the Mansergh family from county Cork inherited the estate in the late 18th century and changed his name to St George. Richard Mansergh St George employed Charles Frizell to survey his estate in the 1770s and was murdered in county Cork in 1797. By the mid 19th century the St Georges had an extensive estate in the parishes of Kilkilvery, Killursa, Cargin, Killeany and Donaghpatrick in the barony of Clare, county Galway, including the town of Headford. John O'Hara of Galway was their agent. Charles Mansergh St George also held land in the parish of Donaghmore, barony of Iffa and Offa East, county Tipperary. In the early 1870s Richard St. George's estate in county Galway amounted to over 7000 acres. It was advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in 1876, some of it was sold but it was not until the 1890s that the final parts of the estate were sold to the Land Commission. Thomas McDonagh bought Headford Castle, the demesne and most of the town. After the Castle was burnt down in 1906 the McDonaghs went to live at Moyne Hill. The rent roll of Sir Richard St George Mansergh St George's estates in counties Cork, Tipperary and Kilkenny show him holding the townlands of Curraghpoor, parish of Rathlynin, barony of Clanwilliam and Ballyhasty, parish of Modreeny, barony of Lower Ormond, Co. Tipperary; Ballybur, Co. Kilkenny; Gortnaskehy East and West, Macroney, Curragh More East and West, 'Curraghnafeddy East and West,' Clashganniv, Kilbeg, Shanacloon, 'Belerogh' alias Lisseenkirkey', 'Lyregilikeen', 'Lyrebarry', 'Luresolevan', Co. Cork. In 1851 he was also among the principal lessors in the parish of Ardmore, county Waterford.