- Walter Taylor was granted almost a thousand acres in the barony of Kiltartan, county Galway in February 1667. Following a marriage in 1825 it became the Shawe-Taylor estate and included lands in the parish of Kilmacduagh, barony of Kiltartan, county Galway in 1855. The Shawe-Taylors also held extensive property in the barony of Dunkellin. Sir John Taylor, of Castle Taylor, is recorded as the proprietor of lands in the parish of Beagh, barony of Kiltartan, and the parish of Kilcolgan in the 1830s. The Ordnance Survey Name Books record their agent as George Cuppage of Galway. The main house on the estate was at Castle Taylor, formerly Ballymagrath, close to the village of Ardrahan but they also held another house in the townland of Monksfield, between Ardrahan and Craughwell. This had been acquired from the Morgan family. In 1778 the Taylors also had a property at Raheen, closer to Gort. In 1906 Walter Shawe Taylor held over 400 acres of untenanted demesne land at Castletaylor South as well as a further 1100 acres of untenanted land in the parishes of Killinny and Kilmacduagh.
The Shawe-Taylor estate was sold to the Land Commission in the 1930s by Michael Shawe-Taylor who was the last of the family to live there.
- The Blakes had owned an estate at Corbally, parish of Ardrahan since the 15th century. In 1824 a Blake of Corbally was described as a resident proprietor in county Galway but shortly afterwards they were obliged to sell to the Dalys when the estate became known as Castledaly. In 1756 they had sold Aghrim Castle,in the parish of Athenry, to the Lamberts who built a house at the site and renamed it Castle Lambert.
Lambert (Castle Ellen)
- The Lambert family came originally from Yorkshire but were settled in county Galway since the reign of Elizabeth I. The Castle Ellen family are descended from the Cregaclare Lamberts, one of whom, Charles, was killed at the siege of Derry. Charles' great-grandson, Walter Peter, is described as "of Castle Ellen" in the later 18th century. Walter Lambert of Castle Ellen owned over 3000 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. In 1906 the representatives of Peter F. Lambert held over 370 acres of untenanted demesne lands as well as the house at Castle Ellen.
Lambert (Castle Lambert)
- During the 19th century the Lamberts, a junior branch of the Lamberts of Creg Clare, county Galway, had an estate of over 5,000 acres, mainly in the parish of Athenry, barony of Clare, county Galway. In 1756 they bought their estate, originally known as the Aghrim or Moor estate, from the Blakes of Corbally in settlement of a debt. The Lamberts built a new residence and renamed the property Castle Lambert. The estate was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates’ Court in 1855 and included lands in the baronies of Clare, Leitrim and Athenry. The Trousdells of Kilrush, county Clare, bought an interest in the estate at this time. Thomas Lambert had married Sarah Trousdell in 1850. Almost 40 years later the estate was again sold, in June 1892, having been proposed for sale as far back as March 1887, when the owner was Giles Eyre Lambert. Frank Shawe Taylor of Castle Taylor bought over 1,200 acres with the two houses, Castle Lambert and Moor Park. In the 1870s Captain Thomas Lambert had owned 2621 acres in county Galway and 989 acres in county Mayo. This branch of the Lambert family is well documented in the collection of S. & R.C. Walker, solicitors, in the National Archives.