Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
James Cuff, Lord Tyrawley, built a house beside the Old Bourke Castle in 1791. It is labelled Deel Castle on 1st edition Ordnance survey map but as Castle Gore on the later 25-inch edition The house was burnt in 1922 and not rebuilt.
G182 187 Discovery map #24. OS Sheet #30.
The old Bourke Castle on the river Deel was granted to the Gores at the end of 17th century. They added a large wing to the old castle in the 18th century and renamed it Castle Gore. The castle along with other lands was leased to James Cuff, Lord Tyrawley towards the end of the 18th century. Wilson refers to it as "the pleasant old seat of the Earl of Arran, now occupied by Rt. Hon. James Cuffe" in 1786. Occupied by the Cuff's steward for part of the 19th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation it was occupied by Captain St. George Cuffe and valued at £60. In 1894 Slater refers to it as a seat of the Earls of Arran though this may refer to the late eighteenth century house nearby.
G180184 Discovery map #24. OS Sheet #30.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links