Warning: Your browser doesn't support all of the features in this Web site. Please view our accessibility page for more details.
|House Name / Description||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
The original building was a two storey house of pink brick built in the 1670s by George Mathew with early 18th additions. Wilson decribed it in 1786 as "an ancient but handsome edifice". In the second decade of the 19th century it was enlarged and transformed into a Gothic castle, designed by Richard Morrison for the 2nd Earl of Llandaff. Viscount Chabot is recorded as the occupier in the mid 19th century. He held the property in fee and the buildings were valued at £100. Bence Jones writes that it later was in the possession of the Daly family but from the mid 1870s it began to decay. William Daly was the occupier in 1906 when the buildings were valued at £61.
|Thomastown Demesne||Relickmurry & Athassel||Tipperary||Thomastown 165||Clanwilliam||Tipperary||
R980 372 Discovery map #66. OS Sheet #60.
Rathcloheen was the home of John Mathew in the first half of the 19th century. The house is situated very close to Thomastown Castle. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Mathew held Rathcloheen from Lynn Carew and the buildings were valued at £20. "Burke's Irish Family Records" refers to John Smithwick of Rathclogheen, county Tipperary who married Cherry Pennefather in 1823. This house is well preserved and is still used as a residence.
|Rathcloheen||Reclickmurry & Athassel||Tipperary||Thomastown 165||Clanwilliam||Tipperary||
R992 371 Discovery map #66. OS Sheet #68.
Many of these resources are now available online. For a list with Web links please see the Online Printed Sources Links